CBI's auxiliary organization for women. Providing friendship, stimulating community service, and initiatives that support Jewish education.
Chesed & Tzedakah
If you are seeking camaraderie with other Jewish women and opportunities to express loving kindness, the CBI's Sisterhood welcomes you with open arms.
Congregation B’nai Sisterhood welcomes the participation of all women in the Albuquerque community and beyond. Now in our 85th year of existence, we have long supported our congregation in many ways, as well as serving as a source of social action and interaction for our members. Here are a few of the ways Sisterhood supports Congregation B’nai Israel and the Jewish community of Albuquerque:
Tikkun Olam Project
T.V. coverage we got on KOAT News for Sisterhood Tikkun Olam project- delivering lunch to the E.R. at the V.A. Hospital. http://my.tvey.es/m9YAp
Here’s the Thank you letter from the VA for this wonderful gesture of kindness.
B'nai Israel Sisterhood Judaica Gift Shop
The Judaica Shop, located in the synagogue lobby, is open to the public Monday, Tuesdays and Thursdays, and Sundays while Religious School is in session. Call 505-266-0155 to schedule personal appointments and verify hours. Come in to find something extraordinary for yourself, or your friends and family.
For more info, visit https://bnaiisrael-nm.org/judaica-gift-shop
Sisterhood Special Project Fund
Proceeds from donations will be for Special Projects benefiting Congregation B'nai Israel's kitchen, social hall, and religious school. In the past, we have provided tables, bought carpeting, redone the kitchen work space; purchased blinds, books, and whiteboards for the Religious School, just to name a few.
Tree of Life
Donors may add an engraved leaf to our commemorative wall, or an engraved rock to our synagogue’s garden landscape. Send mail to Beth Stewart at firstname.lastname@example.org or 5301 Calle Nuestra NW, Albuquerque, NM 87120.
Sisterhood By-laws - Updated March 2020
To Download (PDF): Sisterhood By-laws (Updated March 2020)
Sisterhood fundraising provides
- Camp scholarships to our members’ children or grandchildren
- Gifts for B’nai Mitzvah and Confirmation Class Graduates
- Supplies for the Irving and Edith Friedman Academy of Jewish Learning, the synagogue’s religious school.
- Security for classrooms
- Maintenance and management of two commercial-grade kosher kitchens–one for meat (fleishig) and one for dairy (milchig)
- Synagogue beautification (for example, new carpeting, furniture for the Social Hall, landscaping)
Social engagement and friendship with women who nurture and encourage positive Jewish identity, life-long learning, and mitzvot.
Sisterhood Events are held throughout the year and include:
- Opening Dinner
- Fundraising partnership with WORLD ORT to sell jars of kosher honey for welcoming in the Jewish New Year.
- Jewish Book Month
- Nosh Fest
- Sisterhood Shabbat
- Blanket-making for charities
- Additional programs and speakers